Wednesday, February 22, 2006

New York's Secret Places- Sky Plaza

New York City has lots of hidden little secret places that aren't really publicized- like the Burger Joint. Another great one is the elevated plaza behind 55 Water Street downtown. The plaza overlooks the East River and Brooklyn Bridge but it's staircases are unmarked and the park is so high up that you can't see it at all from the street. I was in the area today so I went to check it out and it was totally empty. I knew where it was but I was still a little unsure when I got to the desolate staircase entrance on South St. Walking up I arrived at a peaceful garden with a huge (fake) lawn sandwiched between the skyscrapers and the river. Video/Slideshow set to Stevie doing Higher Ground live? Check:

This is a recent redesign of the plaza; obviously the designers still did not fix the street entrances but it's better that way for those in the know. For way more information than you ever wanted to know about the plaza check here, including the original design and failed proposals.
category: nyc_