Sunday, February 26, 2006

NYC Radio Sucks Except for Q104.3

I drove out to Sayreville, New Jersey this weekend to see the Disco Biscuits at the Starland Ballroom (formerly the Hunka Bunka for anyone who listened to Z100 or Hot97 in the early 90's). Driving is just about the only time I voluntarily listen to radio and only when I don't have my iPod or a CD with me. This weekend I discovered that my Macally FM iPod transmitter is just a little bit bigger than the glovebox in the car and when extreme pressure is applied to the cigarette lighter portion of said FM transmitter, it will snap off, rendering the device unusable in the car. By the way, the Macally FM iPod transmitter actually works well and I know at least 2 other people that would recommend it too. Check out the damage: the 2 white pieces are supposed to be connected and the red & black wires are supposed to be attached to something inside the part on the right.

So I spent about 3 hours listening to the radio this weekend and I discovered that radio now sucks in New York. Not only does it suck, it sucks bad. What happened to all the good radio stations? Z100 is playing 3rd rate hip hop. WPLJ is like lite fm doctors waiting room crap. 102.3/102.7- crap. Perenial backup standby flip to when there's nothing else on station 101.1 WCBS is no longer playing those great oldies. 92.3 KRock? Now it's JackFM with an obnoxious automated self promoting DJ playing a mix of good stuff and total crap. It's all crap out there except for Q104.3. They are playing a great mix of classic rock. The only reason I even know the other stations all suck is because 104.3 plays soooo many commercials. No other station held my interest for more than 1 song. I can see why satellite radio is becoming huge so quickly.
category: nyc_ music_